When you apply for coverage through Maryland Health Connection, your information is protected. Here’s how:
Applying for health coverage does not allow another agency, such as Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), to get access to your personal information.
- By law, the personal information you’ll provide in your application will not be shared with another agency, even if one of your family members is in the process of deportation.
- We verify immigration status for applicants in order to find out what health insurance programs they may be eligible for, such as Medicaid or a private Qualified Health Plan.
- We cannot use your personal information for anything other than your health coverage application unless you provide consent. For more information, see Maryland Health Connection’s Privacy Notice.
You only have to provide the immigration status for the family members who are applying for coverage, such as your children.
- If you are undocumented but your children or family members are U.S. citizens or have an eligible immigration status, you should apply for them to get coverage.
- You will not have to provide your own immigration status if you are not applying for yourself, even if the application later asks for proof of your citizenship status.
Enrolling in health coverage will not prevent your loved ones who are undocumented from getting a green card or other legal documentation in the future.
- The personal information in your application won’t affect your current immigration status or your application for a green card or citizenship, and you cannot be deported for using your health benefits.
About Maryland Health Connection
Maryland Health Connection is Maryland’s official health insurance marketplace for individuals and families to compare plans and enroll in health and dental coverage. It’s the only place to get financial help with health insurance. See if you qualify for financial help like tax credits or Medicaid/MCHP to make health insurance more affordable.