As part of the state’s overall response to the coronavirus, and in an effort to prioritize health and safety, Maryland Health Connection opened a new special enrollment period for uninsured Marylanders.
What you need to know
When will your coverage begin?
The coronavirus emergency special enrollment period is open now through Dec. 15. Here are the dates coverage will begin, depending on what day you enrolled in a health plan:
- Enroll by Aug. 15, 2020, coverage starts Aug. 1, 2020
- Enroll Aug. 16-Sept. 15, 2020, coverage starts Sept. 1, 2020
- Enroll Sept. 16-Oct. 15, 2020, coverage starts Oct. 1, 2020
- Enroll Oct. 16-Nov.15, 2020, coverage starts Nov.1, 2020
- Enroll Nov. 16-Dec.15, 2020, coverage starts Dec. 1, 2020
How do I enroll?
To enroll, visit MarylandHealthConnection.gov or download the free “Enroll MHC” mobile app. When enrolling, you should request or select “Coronavirus Emergency Special Enrollment Period.”
Trained navigators and brokers can help you enroll by phone.
This enrollment period is for new enrollments of uninsured Marylanders who are eligible, not an opportunity for currently enrolled consumers to change plans.
Can I get help enrolling?
Free consumer assistance is available by calling 855-642-8572 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Deaf and hard of hearing use Relay. Help is available in more than 200 languages.
What do I need to apply?
- Social Security numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants)
- Proof of citizenship or immigration status
- Tax returns for previous years
- Employer and income info (pay stubs, W-2 forms)
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance
- Information about any job-related coverage you or someone in your household is eligible for
Is Coronavirus covered under a Maryland Health Connection plan or Medicaid?
Yes. Health insurance companies are required to waive cost-sharing, including lab fees, co-payments, coinsurance, and deductibles for any visit to test for coronavirus at a doctor’s office, urgent care center, or emergency room.
Can I qualify for the Coronavirus Emergency Special Enrollment Period even if I’m not sick?
Yes. All eligible, uninsured Marylanders may qualify for this emergency special enrollment period.