What if I get divorced?

If you get divorced or experience another qualifying life event that affects your eligibility (including moving to a new state, certain changes in your income, and losing your current coverage), you may be eligible to obtain health coverage through Maryland Health Connection during a special enrollment period outside of the open enrollment period. Talk to a Maryland Health Connection representative if you would like more information about this.

If you have employer-sponsored coverage through your former spouse, you may also be able to purchase federal or state COBRA continuation coverage for a limited time.

If you buy COBRA continuation coverage, you are not eligible for premium tax credits or cost-sharing reduction plans while you are enrolled in COBRA. You may be eligible to enroll in a health plan through Maryland Health Connection instead of COBRA.