To be eligible to participate in the SHOP Marketplace, you must:
- Have a principal business address within Maryland, or you can offer coverage to each eligible employee through the SHOP Marketplace serving that employee's primary worksite.
- Have at least one common-law employee on payroll (not including a business owner or sole proprietor or their spouses if they're on payroll). For the definition of a common-law employee, visit the IRS website
- Employ 50 or fewer full-time equivalent employees (FTEs), including part-time employees. To calculate FTEs please use the Full-time Equivalent Employee Calculator at healthcare.gov/shop-calculators-fte/
- Offer coverage to all full-time employees
- Click here to see if your business is eligible for SHOP / Submit your Employer Eligibility Application
The SHOP will review the employer's application to confirm that the employer meets each of these SHOP eligiblity requirements. Maryland Health Connection will provide the employer with a notice of the employer's eligibility determination.
Eligibility for the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit is determined by the IRS. Please use this tax credit estimator to see if you're eligible HealthCare.gov/shop-calculators-taxcredit/