If you are covered by any of the following throughout the year (considered “minimum essential coverage”), you will not have to pay a tax penalty:
- Any plan you get through Maryland Health Connection or any individual insurance plan you already have
- Any employer plan that qualifies as minimum essential coverage, including COBRA or retiree plans
- Medicare (Part A)
- MCHP or MCHP Premium
- Most Veterans Affairs Health Programs
- Peace Corps Volunteer Plans
- Other plans may also qualify. Ask a Maryland Health Connection representative if you’re not sure.