Maryland Health Connection is required by federal law to verify people’s SSNs and other information when determining eligibility for health insurance programs.
If you did not enter your SSN, entered it incorrectly, or do not have one, you may receive a notice in your account inbox or the mail requesting that you provide additional information because Maryland Health Connection was not able to electronically verify an SSN or other information, such as income.
If you have a SSN, a copy of one of the documents below is acceptable:
- Social Security card
- Tax form(s)
- Benefit or income statement from Social Security containing your SSN
If you do not have an SSN or are applying for one, a copy of one of the documents below is acceptable:
- Pending application for an SSN
- Letter from Social Security stating that you’re not eligible for an SSN or are only eligible for a non-work SSN
- Letter stating that you refuse to obtain an SSN for established religious objections
- Affidavit/Exemption from Obtaining an SSN (for people who are not eligible for an SSN, can only obtain one for non-work purposes, or who have a religious objection.)
Other types of documents may be acceptable. If you do not see a particular type of document listed, contact Maryland Health Connection or, your local health department (PDF) or department of social services.