Generally, your household includes the people you put on your tax form: you, your spouse, and any children or relatives you financially support.
When filling out your application, do include:
- Your spouse;
- Your children who live with you, even if they make enough money to file a tax return themselves;
- Your unmarried partner who needs health coverage;
- Anyone you include on your tax return as a dependent, even if they don’t live with you ; and
- Anyone else under 21 who you take care of and lives with you.
When filling out your application, don't include:
- Your unmarried partner who doesn’t need health coverage and is not your dependent;
- Your parents who live with you, but file their own tax return and are not your dependents;
- Other relatives who file their own tax return and are not your dependents; or
- Roommates and other unrelated people who are not your dependents.
To learn about who qualifies as a dependent, refer to IRS Publication 501.