If you’re spending Cyber Monday crossing off your holiday shopping list, make sure to check for savings at MarylandHealthConnection.gov — we’re offering lower costs on health insurance so you can save year-round in 2018.
Here are our tips on finding the best deal today through December 15, the deadline to enroll in 2018 coverage:
1. Get an estimate so you know what savings you could qualify for. Nine out of 10 people who enroll qualify for lower costs, so don’t miss out. You could get a tax credit to lower your monthly insurance premiums, or even qualify for free or low-cost coverage through Medicaid or the Maryland Children’s Health Program.
2. Even if you’re already enrolled, you could save money by changing plans. Log into your account at MarylandHealthConnection.gov and use the “Change My Information” button to update your information and confirm your current plan enrollment. Then you’ll see 2018 plans and costs. Compare plans and benefits carefully; a Gold plan (which offers greater benefits) may actually cost you less than a Silver plan.
3. Check with your doctor’s office to see which plans they accept. We’re offering health plans through CareFirst and Kaiser Permanente for 2018. Before you enroll, check that your doctor accepts the plan (called being “in-network”) so you’ll pay less when you use medical services.
4. Update your application. You could save more money if you’ve had changes in your life or household, such as a new family member or loss of income. (Don’t wait until open enrollment to update your information; you should tell us about these changes as soon as possible year-round. Some may change the coverage or financial help you qualify for.)
5. Ask an expert. We offer many ways to get free, in-person help, including our local consumer assistance organizations and authorized insurance brokers. They can help you fill out your application correctly, understand your plan options and find coverage that fits your needs and your budget.
You can also get free enrollment help statewide at a free “Last Chance” event December 8-10. Find an enrollment location near you.
If you missed out on shopping today, don’t worry yet! Open enrollment for 2018 health and dental plans is now through December 15. Just visit MarylandHealthConnection.gov to get started, or download our mobile app, Enroll MHC.
About Maryland Health Connection
Maryland Health Connection is Maryland’s official health insurance marketplace for individuals and families to compare plans and enroll in health and dental coverage. It’s the only place to get financial help with health insurance. See if you qualify for financial help like tax credits or Medicaid/MCHP to make health insurance more affordable.