New to the Maryland marketplace? Here, we’ll give you the lowdown on how and when to apply for health insurance.
Open enrollment for private plans, or qualified health plans, begins Nov. 1 at 5 a.m. and ends Dec. 15 at 11:59 p.m. It’s important that you enroll during this period to ensure you’re covered starting Jan. 1 and stay covered throughout 2019.
Helpful hint: This is for qualified health plans only. You may apply for Medicaid any time during the year. If you’re already covered by Medicaid, you will receive a renewal notice stating what month you need to renew your coverage. You can also find which month you’re due to renew on your “Enroll MHC” mobile app. If you haven’t yet applied for Medicaid or aren’t up for renewal, it’s best to wait until after the open enrollment period. If you need help enrolling by phone, this will ensure that call center wait times will be significantly shorter.
We’ll give you three easy steps to #GetCovered.
- Collect these items and have them handy when you’re ready to apply.
- Visit MarylandHealthConnection.gov or download the mobile app to get an estimate before applying. Just click the “Get an Estimate” button.
- If you’ve already created an account and are ready to enroll, click “Sign in” on the home page to update your information and pick the best 2019 plan for your family. Otherwise, click “Create an Account” to get started. Then, follow the steps in the prompt to get health insurance!
Helpful hint: don’t know if you’re eligible for cost savings? When you first begin your application, make sure you check that you’d like financial help with your plan. That way your eligibility will be checked during the enrollment process to see if you could save on plan costs. After all, 9 out of 10 people got financial help with their plans last year. Many plans are lower cost this year.
- Call us toll-free at 1-855-642-8572. Deaf and hard of hearing use Relay service.
- Search for free, in-person help in your area. Meet some of your local navigators here.
- Find a free enrollment event in your area, such as #BeatTheRush.
About Maryland Health Connection
Maryland Health Connection is Maryland’s official health insurance marketplace for individuals and families to compare plans and enroll in health and dental coverage. It’s the only place to get financial help with health insurance. See if you qualify for financial help or Medicaid to make health insurance more affordable.